The Sprenger KK-Ultra line of bits are designed to take advantage of the exceptional sensitivity of the horse's tongue.
The unique design of KK-Ultra bits resulted from a study conducted by Sprenger, in collaboration with the Veterinary University in Hanover. The study examined more than 70 horse's heads, and used various methods to take measurements. The analysis produced unexpected results.
- the interiour volume of the mouth was smaller than previously though
- the palate was smaller and flatter than previously imagined
- therefore the space left for a bit is limited
As a result, Sprenger the KK Ultra bit was designed with the following features:
- a shortened centre lozenge that does not put pressure on the palate
- centre lozenge angled forward at 45 degrees ensuring that under rein pressure the link rests fully on the tongue without squeezing it, such that the tongue's sense of touch is fully utilized and the reins convey clear instructions
This bit combines a mouthpiece made of Aurigan, the unique metal encouraging horses to chew, with stainless steel rings to match silver bridlework.
Mouthpiece thickness: 16mm.