Equilibrium Massage Pad
The Equilibrium Horse Massage Pad is a lightweight and portable massage pad, which works by stimulating the muscles on the horses back by pulsing, vibration and stroking actions
- Clinically proven to improve back flexibility and promote relaxation (trial results below)
- Shaped to follow the contours of the horses back, provides coverage from withers to quarters
- Battery operated 30-minute sessions
- Three different, easily adjustable programs that allow you to choose the intensity of the massage
- Perfect before exercise as part of warm up
- Fits a wide range of horses and ponies
- Easy to fit, clean & store with a modern & practical sports holdall
- New high performance battery & universal charger*
- 2 year product warranty
The Equilibrium Back Massage Pad includes:
- 1 x Equilibrium Massage Pad,
- 1 x Equilibrium Bag,
- 1 x Equilibrium Battery,
- 1 x Equilibrium International Charger
The Equilibrium Back Massage Pad is ideal for those equines between 14hh and 16.1hh who wear a blanket smaller than a 78", but larger than a 66".
Click the links below to shop other sizes:
Equilibrium XL Back Massage Pad - Ideal for those equines over 16.2hh that wear a blanket larger than a 78"
Equilibrium Pony Back Massage Pad - Ideal for those equines under 14hh that wear a blanket smaller than a 66"
How does the Massage Pad work?
- The Equilibrium Massage Pad has three different settings, which can be selected easily from the controller. This allows you to select the intensity of the program to suit your horse. Each program has three types of massage: pulsing, vibration and stroking, which ensures muscles are worked in different ways.
- The Equilibrium Massage Pad can be incorporated into your warming up and cooling down routine.
- The low setting can be used to cool down after work.
The medium setting is ideal to warm up muscles before exercise.
The high setting for when your horse requires a more intense massage.
- Each session will last for 30 minutes however, this can be manually stopped at any time.
- It comes in a handy carry bag, which makes it ideal for use at home and away. It is easy to store in the tack room and can be wiped clean. The bag also has storage spots which can be used for items such as the battery and charger.
- The Equilibrium Massage Pad is now the choice of many Olympians, world champions and top producers.
When to use Massage:
The Equilibrium Massage Pad can be used for:
- Horses on box rest to maintain good blood flow
- After exercise to help support recovery
- Before exercise as part of warm up
- At a show to relax after travelling
- On your horses day off as part of a maintenance programme
- Anytime as a reward.
Benefits of Massage
- Massage is well known for its feel good factor and has been shown to aid relaxation, and assist with the maintenance of healthy muscle and muscle function. Tension is often one of the most common reasons for poor performance. By increasing relaxation and improving back flexibility, the negative effects of tension can be reduced. A relaxed horse, with relaxed muscles, will move with fluidity and suppleness which is particularly important for competition horses performing dressage movements, and those jumping technical fences.
- As part of our commitment to research and product development, the Equilibrium Horse Massage Pad was tested by Myerscough College in Lancashire, UK.
- The results showed that the massage pad offers significant benefits to working horses, which include improving back flexibility and promoting relaxation and can show an increase in stride length.
- The trial investigated the effects of massage on well schooled horses. Signs of stress or relaxation were measured immediately before, during and after the application of the Equilibrium Horse Massage Pad over a six week period. Secondly, the horses were assessed in terms of flexibility and suppleness. There were two groups of horses a treated group and a control group.
- The Arch Dip Test was used to assess back flexibility, which involves pressure stimulus to generate a reflex in the horses back. Pressure applied to a specific region in the spinal area results in the horse dipping away from the pressure. A more flexible back allows the horse to exhibit a greater ability to dip away from the source of the pressure. The arch test involves the application of pressure to the horses midline. This stimulates an upwards arch reflex in the horses back away from the source of pressure. Similarly, a more flexible back allows the horse to exhibit a greater ability to arch the back upwards away from the pressure. The horses that had used the pad showed a significant improvement in back flexibility of 46%.
- The horses also had their heart rates monitored as a measure of relaxation.
Massage Pad Testing
- We are dedicated to creating carefully designed products that improve the wellbeing of the horse. All of our products are thoroughly researched, tested and quality checked.
- The Equilibrium Massage Pad has been independently tested by Myerscough College in Lancashire, the findings showed:
- Increased Flexibility
- Massage helps to promote flexibility in healthy muscle tissue, fascia and other soft tissue fibres. The effects of massage on flexibility can be measured using the 'Arch Dip' test to determine the amount of upwards or downwards bend of the horses' back. Test results from our trials demonstrated an overall improvement in back flexibility of approximately 46%.
- Stride Length
- The trial showed that the stride length of the treated horses increased over the period of the test by 12cms, whereas the control group showed little improvement. Horse owners know that a small change in stride length can make a major difference to the way of going in a horse!
- Promoting Relaxation
- Using a heart rate monitor, horses wearing the Equilibrium Massage Pad showed an increase in relaxation compared to the horses in the control group.